Legal Services Trust Fund Commission (LSTFC)
The Legal Services Trust Fund Commission
- administers the Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts Program and the Equal Access Fund;
- jointly administers the Justice Gap Fund with the California Commission on Access to Justice;
- currently has three standing committees that handle specific projects, and each commission member is assigned to one or more standing committees;
- is comprised of 21 voting members (15 lawyers and six public members who have never been members of the State Bar or admitted to practice before any court in the U.S.) and three nonvoting judges. At least two of the 21 voting members shall be client members (those eligible for services as "indigent persons" as defined at section 6213(d) of the Business and Professions Code).
The State Bar Board of Trustees appoints 14 voting members (10 lawyers and four non-lawyer public members), and this application is only for the State Bar appointments.
The other seven voting members (five lawyers and two public members) and the three nonvoting judges are appointed by the Chair of the Judicial Council.
The commission seeks lawyers and public members who possess a commitment to the delivery of legal services to the poor and a sensitivity to the needs of low-income communities. Persons who have knowledge of the structure and practices of banking and financial institutions those who have experience or familiarity addressing the particular problems of self-represented litigants are encouraged to apply.
No employee or independent contractor acting as a consultant to any agency which is a potential recipient of funds under the Legal Services Trust Fund Program shall be appointed to the commission. All members appointed shall be bound by the Board of Trustees' established rules governing conflicts of interest.
- Expected 2016-17 vacancies: 6 (lawyer and non-lawyer positions)
- Meetings per year: 4-6 commission meetings plus additional standing committee meetings
- 2015-16 Chair: Richard E. Reinis, Los Angeles
- Staff contact: Stephanie Choy 415-538-2249
Deadline for 2016 applications: Jan. 29, 2016
2016 terms begin: Conclusion of 2016 State Bar Annual Meeting (Oct. 2, 2016)