California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA) Board
The California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA) Board of Directors is appointed by the State Bar's Board of Trustees to:
- advise the Board of Trustees of the interests of California young lawyers
- develop strategies for increasing young lawyer involvement and participation in the State Bar
- facilitate the development of programs and services that would assist young lawyers in their professional and leadership advancement and programs that benefit the public
A California young lawyer is defined as a member in good standing of the State Bar of California who is in his or her first five years of practice in California or who is age 36 or under.
Funded by mandatory State Bar dues, the CYLA board is composed of 20 young lawyer members. Six of the appointed seats are designated for representatives of each of the six State Bar districts, one member per district. The remaining 14 seats are filled by appointments at large. Current members consist of State Bar of California active members, drawn from diverse constituencies, including but not limited to geographic location, racial and ethnic diversity, practice setting, practice type, district representation, gender and sexual orientation.
CYLA board members:
- serve as the ambassadors of the State Bar to the young lawyer organizations within the state
- screen candidates for the annual Jack Berman Award of Achievement
- report to the Board Committee on Member Oversight, or other designated Board oversight committee as determined by the Board of Trustees
Time commitment: Serving as a member of the CYLA board is a time-consuming obligation. Meetings require research and reading, and outreach efforts can average 10 hours per month. The typical full committee meeting lasts six hours on a Saturday, exclusive of travel time. Subcommittee meetings occur on an ad hoc basis, but often entail one or more conference calls per month. A member can expect to devote no less than one to two weeks of typical work days per year.
State Bar section enrollment: All CYLA board members act as liaisons to at least one substantive-law State Bar section, and it is recommended that CYLA board members join sections for which they act as liaisons. The annual cost for section membership is as much as $95 for 2014 and subject to annual increase. The cost for section membership is a non-reimbursable cost for CYLA board members. Travel and lodging costs associated with participation at in-person CYLA meetings are reimbursed according to State Bar travel policies.
- Expected 2014-15 vacancies: 4 at-large seats; 1 District 6 seat
- Meetings per year: 6 (three to four in-person meetings--northern California, southern California and an Annual Meeting--and three conference calls)
- Chair: Alexander Calero, San Diego
- Staff contact: Laila Bartlett 415-538-2232
Deadline for 2014 applications: Feb. 3, 2014
2014-15 terms begin: Conclusion of 2014 State Bar Annual Meeting (Sept. 14, 2014)