Family Law Executive Committee
The purpose of the Family Law Section is to further the knowledge of its members in all areas of family law, such as dissolution of marriage, legal separation, annulment, registered domestic partnerships, child custody, child and spousal support, community property, adoption and dependency. The section produces the continuing legal education programs, the Family Law News and an electronic newsletter.
The executive committee:
- consists of 15-17 lawyer members from northern and southern California and several advisers.
- reviews proposed family law legislation, assists the State Bar in working with the legislature to develop family law legislation, drafts affirmative family law legislation and lends its family law expertise by providing comments and testimony to the legislature.
- seeks members committed to family law and those who enjoy hard work in a collegial atmosphere.
The committee meets several times a year, across the state, and substantial preparation is required for each meeting. Committee communications are conducted electronically, and each member must have an e-mail address to receive committee meeting notices, agendas, etc. Section participation, bar activities, legal experience and diversity are factors considered in the appointment review. Lawyers throughout California who can make the time commitment are encouraged to apply.
For questions about requirements or how to become more involved in the section, please contact the section's staff or executive committee chair.
- Expected 2014-15 vacancies: 5
- Approximate number of meetings per year: 4
- Chair: Andrew M. Cain, Sacramento
- Staff contact: Mitch Wood 415-538-2594
Deadline for 2014 applications: Feb. 3, 2014
2014-15 terms begin: Conclusion of 2014 State Bar Annual Meeting (Sept.14, 2014)