Business Law Executive Committee
With over 9,000 members, the Business Law Section is the largest section of the State Bar. The section:
- focuses on providing services to its members electronically and through the section's website;
- sponsors educational programs;
- publishes a monthly e-newsletter and the quarterly Business Law News, as well as opinion reports and other written materials.
The executive committee oversees the section's educational, legislative, and publishing activities, and the work of 15 substantive standing committees and the Business Law News Editorial Board.
The standing committees:
- are actively involved in providing member services and educational activities;
- initiating, developing and drafting California legislation;
- commenting upon state and federal legislation;
- participating in regulatory reform in California.
Members of the executive committee:
- act as liaisons to the section's standing and ad hoc committees;
- actively participate in the section's projects;
- are expected to attend regularly executive committee meetings and to handle projects outside of the meetings.
Applications from the section's lawyer members who have actively participated in its standing committees are strongly encouraged.
Committee communications are conducted electronically and posted on the section's website; therefore, each member must have access to the Internet and an email address to receive and review committee meeting notices, agendas, reports, etc. Lawyers throughout California who meet these requirements and who can make the time commitment are encouraged to apply.
- Expected 2017-18 vacancies: 4
- Meetings per year: 8
- 2016-17 Chair: James P. Hill, San Diego
- Staff contact: John Buelter 415-538-2341
Deadline for 2017 applications: February 8, 2017
2017-18 terms begin: Conclusion of 2017 State Bar Annual Meeting (September 22, 2017)