In 2013, the State Bar will appoint one lawyer member to the Judicial Council. The Judicial Council is a state constitutional agency responsible for improving statewide administration of justice in the California courts.
The three-year appointment term begins Sept. 15, 2013, and expires Sept. 14, 2016, with the orientation meeting for new members usually held in conjunction with the council's August meeting.
- The Judicial Council consists of the Chief Justice, one associate justice of the Supreme Court, three justices of the Courts of Appeal, 10 judges of superior courts, four lawyer members appointed by the State Bar, one member appointed by the legislative leaders in each house of the Legislature, two nonvoting court adminstrators and other positions as determined by the council.
- The time commitment is approximately 300 hours a year for meetings and assignments. Meetings are held six to eight times a year, and generally are scheduled for two days (Thurs.-Fri.).
- Members serve on one of the council's internal committees, which meet frequently at a convenient location or by conference call. In addition, council members are assigned special tasks, which are supported by staff, and they serve as liaison to the council's advisory committees.
- Council members are reimbursed for their travel expenses by the Judicial Council in accordance with the reimbursement schedule for state employees.
Additional information regarding the Judicial Council is available at its website: www.courts.ca.gov/policyadmin-jc.htm
State Bar criteria deemed important for service on the council are:
- demonstrated interest in and experience with court administration issues;
- broad experience in the legal field;
- a keen analytical ability, independent judgment and a big picture perspective regarding the role of the judicial branch;
- collegial working relationships; and
- credibility as a leader both within the home county and statewide.
Deadline for 2013 applications (Word fill-in, AdobePDF): Feb. 1, 2013
2013 term begins: Sept. 15, 2013
The application forms for the lawyer position on the council are available at the State Bar website and from the State Bar's Appointments Office (415-538-2370). The applications must be submitted to the Appointments Office, The State Bar of California, 180 Howard Street, San Francisco CA 94105-1639.